Health Insurance | University of Northwestern, St. Paul
Return to Campus Updates and Coronavirus Information

Health Insurance

Health insurance is necessary to get the care you need and can help keep medical expenses from derailing your education goals. All students must carry health insurance.

Health services desk


At the University of Northwestern, we want to do all we can to help you successfully navigate through college life, and sometimes that means managing unexpected challenges due to illness or injury. Health Services will try to help manage your health concerns as best as we can within our scope of practice and capability. However, sometimes health insurance is necessary to get the care you need and can help keep medical expenses from derailing your educational goals.

All students must carry health insurance.

Many of you will be covered by your parents' health insurance plan during your years in college. If so, please make sure you carry a copy of your health insurance or a card provided by your insurance company. Health Insurance is needed for all medical care received off-campus.

If you are not covered by a parent's health insurance plan and/or are looking for insurance, you can check out or click here for more resources.

Secondary Insurance

The University provides secondary accident insurance coverage for all full-time undergraduate students. Students are enrolled automatically at no additional charge.

Claims must be submitted to the student's primary carrier first, and then a secondary claim can be submitted if needed. Claims must be filed within 90 days of the date of accident and can be submitted via e-mail, fax or mail. Brochures and claim forms are available in Health Services and Athletics. If you have any questions, contact BMI Benefits: (800) 445-3126.

In the event of an accident, the insured should:

  1. If at college, report immediately to Health Services so that proper treatment and or referral can be prescribed or recommended. Athletes should contact Jennifer Ryan, Athletic Trainer,
  2. If away from college, consult a medical provider and follow their advice. Notify Health Services within 30 days after the date of the covered accident or as soon thereafter as is reasonably possible.
  3. Staple all your EOB and itemized medical and hospital bills to the claim form and mail it to the Claims Administrator: BMI Benefits, P.O. Box 511, Matawan, NJ 07747 Toll Free: (800) 445-3126.

International Student Medical Insurance

All international students are required to purchase international student medical insurance. For more information contact, Health Services office at 651-631-5246.

Become a Student


Visit us on Campus

Schedule a Visit

Ask Questions & Connect

Contact Us