FAFSA School Code: 002371 (Including this code in your FAFSA will send your application directly to our financial aid office.)
Aerial view of Northwestern lakeside campus.

Student Concerns & Complaints

Student concerns and complaints about Northwestern and the services provided are issues that Northwestern takes very seriously. We care deeply about ensuring students enjoy a healthy, productive and enriching experience. We have established several situation-specific processes for students to express their concerns and complaints (e.g. academic or discipline appeals, discrimination and others). Students can find the policies and processes for reporting concerns and complaints here (login required).

If, after filing a complaint through the University process, you feel that there is still a concern or complaint, you may express your concern or complaint to the appropriate state authorizer, accrediting body, or federal office as listed below.

Minnesota Office of Higher Education

Institutional Licensing and Registration
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Phone: 651-25-3965

Higher Learning Commission

230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 800.621.7440

National Association of Schools of Music

11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston, VA 20190-5248
Phone: 703-437-0700

Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education

655 K Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 887-6791

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Email: FERPA@ed.gov

The Office of Civil Rights

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100
Telephone: 800-421-3481
Facsimile: 202-453-6012 TDD#: 800-877-8339
Email: OCR@ed.gov

Students enrolled in online courses through the University of Northwestern may submit initial complaints via the above link for resolution. If the complaint is not resolved through contact with the University of Northwestern, students residing in a National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) state, pursuant to the SARA Complaint Process, may contact a SARA representative at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. Information on SARA can be found at www.nc-sara.org.

Become a Student


Visit us on Campus

Schedule a Visit

Ask Questions & Connect

Contact Us