Let your voice blossom and soar with our Class Voice - the perfect group study for the beginning singer!
What is Class Voice?
Class Voice is a group study consisting of 3-10 students that will cover basic vocal techniques including posture, breath support, proper tone production, elements of diction, communication and stage presence. The class is for students who wish to learn more about the basics of singing. Students will be doing some activities and singing as a group and they will also learn individual songs to be sung in front of the class. By the end of the semester, each student will have learned several group songs and at least two individual songs.
Advantages to Class Voice
- Students will be able to work in a group setting and will have the benefit of learning by working with and observing their classmates.
- Students should gain an appreciation for different vocal techniques and a basic knowledge of vocal anatomy and physiology.
- Students will work to encourage and motivate one another to learn and grow. Singing in front of other people helps to break down barriers and helps people gain more confidence.
Class Voice is available to students who have no previous voice lesson/singing experience. Music reading experience is helpful but not necessary. For students ages 11+. Adults are welcome!
Each student will work on vocal technique and will work through several songs in a variety of styles. This is a great course for beginners wanting to start voice lessons in a group setting. Having access to a practice space with a piano and a mirror is not a requirement, but extremely helpful!
- Mondays, 6-6:45 pm, F2211 (choir room in Totino Fine Arts Building)
- Meets for 12 classes each semester
- Spring start date: February 1, 2021
- Class dates: February 1, February 8, February 15, February 22, March 1, March 8, March 22, March 29, April 12, April 19, April 26, May 3
$200 for 12 classes
*Please note that there will be 12 classes, but the last class will be a recital in the classroom.*
Maximum enrollment is 10 students.
- "Library of Disney Songs" from Hal Leonard Publishing
- "Folk Songs for Solo Singers, Volume 1: Medium High" from Alfred Publishing or "Folk Songs for Solo Singers, Volume 1: Medium Low" from Alfred Publishing *
- Water bottle, two pocket folder, and pencil.
- A hand held mirror (found at most dollar stores) and access to a piano are also very helpful, but are not required.
- Face shield and mask
*If you have questions about which edition (Medium High or Medium Low) you would need, please wait until the first day of class to determine which one will work best in your voice.